Centre for Geophysics of the University of Coimbra - CGUC
The Geophysical Institute of the University of Coimbra (Instituto Geofísico da Universidade de Coimbra - IGUC) was founded in 1864, when the first climatological measurements began. Shortly after, in 1866, the geomagnetic observatory was installed (it is still the only one in Portugal and the European westernmost), and in 1907 the seismic station recorded the first seismograms. The data-series are uninterrupted until today and, in these 140 years, have been the support for countless research studies, both in Portugal and abroad. A group of researchers gathered and decided that it was time to begin working within the framework of a formally organised and funded research centre: the Centre for Geophysics of the University of Coimbra (CGUC), taking advantage of the infrastructural facilities that are granted by IGUC. The creation of this centre enabled:
Work in the new Centre, will be developed along three research lines:
A. Solid Planet - whose present work themes includes:
B. Atmosphere/Lithosphere Interface - whose present work themes includes:
C. Planetary Science - whose present work themes includes:
IGUC was granted the statute of Recognized Collaborating Laboratory (RCL) by the European Space Agency (ESA) for the Mars Express Mission. The Centre's members will cooperate actively in the formation of young scientists, not only by tutoring postgraduate students but also by lecturing specialisation courses. The first course on geophysical logging was held in 2002, in collaboration with Pedro Nunes Institute, three short courses on teaching geophysics were held in the same year and the first advanced course on planetary imaging was held in 2003.